Homemade Honey Cough Drops - dIY rECIPE
This time of the year, coughs seem to make their rounds in every household. When I feel a cough coming on, I turn to a few tried-and-tested remedies. Among them: a spoonful of onion honey, a shot of cough syrup, and homemade honey cough drops—details of which I'm thrilled to share here! Paired with a comforting cup of tea, it's my go-to ritual to ease those coughs.
Note: I'm not a medical professional or herbalist. Before trying any remedies, it's advisable to consult with your healthcare provider.
- 2-inch piece of ginger root
- 1 dried mullein leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup local honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Begin by bringing water to a gentle boil in a small pot. While it heats, roughly chop the ginger root and add it to the water along with the mullein leaf and ground cinnamon.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the ingredients steep in the water for about 5-10 minutes to infuse it with their goodness.
- Once steeped, strain the ginger and mullein from the tea. Pour the tea back into the pot and increase the heat to medium-high.
- Stir in the sugar and local honey, maintaining a constant stir to ensure the ingredients blend well.
- As the mixture begins to bubble, carefully lift the pot off the heat periodically to reduce the bubbles. Repeat this process for about 5-10 minutes, allowing the syrup to thicken.
- You'll notice the syrup gradually thickening and pulling away from the edges of the pot. Once it reaches this consistency, remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using a small spoon, drop roughly 1/4 teaspoon dollops of the syrup onto the parchment paper.
- Dust the drops with powdered sugar and allow them to sit for 3-4 minutes to firm up.
- You have options for storage: wrap them in small parchment paper bits, place them in an airtight container, or roll them into small balls. If not individually wrapped, dust them with extra powdered sugar to prevent sticking.
These homemade honey cough drops offer a comforting touch during cough season. They're simple to make and a delightful alternative to store-bought remedies.
Note: you can also add slippery elm leaf or bark to the recipe and steep with the mullein and ginger.
- Danielle Lasit